Sample Syllabus from May 3, 2014 (Class 15 of 18)
Today's Goal: Sculpting Individual Songs & Rehearsing Group Song
1:30-1:40pm Share At-Home Work
- Each student shares what he/she practiced that week
- This week’s treat for a filled reward chart: temporary tattoos
- Assistant teacher tunes guitars
1:45-2:00pm Guitar Love Pt 1: Pentatonic Solo work
- Break into 2 groups
- Work on E minor pentatonic solos: pick technique, fret memorization, rhythms, notes.
- May watch Vimeo videos as a reminder (each student receives personalized video of their scale work, posted on Vimeo on a private/password-protected channel)
2:00-2:05 Snack break
2:05-2:45 Group Performance Practice + Duet Songs
- Room A - Practice Group Song (5 of 6 Children)
- Review rhythm guitar part – should all sound like one guitar if we are playing the same rhythm
- Review finger placement on E and A chords
- Practice microphone technique
- Practice singing our parts on a melody instead of talking them
- Practice timing of when to start and stop singing
- Order of solos will match order of vocal parts
- Room B – Practice Individual Songs (One-on-one coaching)
- Pull children out individually to write a verse and a chorus of their own song.
- Each child is encouraged to each write a lyrical part on their own, bring it to class, and we write the music together.
- Objective is to get a verse, chorus, and leave with a home practice video.
- Use Em Cmaj7 Gsus chord tree OR Em Asus Dmaj7 chord tree.
2:45-2:50 Review At Home Work
- Make sure each child knows exactly what to practice that week. Provide a checklist for 10 minutes of practice each day.
2:50-3pm – Wrap Up/Pack Up